Monday, 17 December 2012
Join me for a Project 52!
The idea behind a Project 52 is a really simple one. You take one photo each week, to a pre-determined idea or theme, that has been designed to help develop your creativity, push your technical boundaries and help you beautifully document your life. (Wow!) Hopefully by the end of the year, you will feel more confident in your photography skills and have a visual memento for every week of the year. If you like the idea of taking a weekly photo but don't feel like following the themes that's OK too, you can simply take a photo each week that represents the week you have had, or follow your own ideas.
Rather than join another Project 52 Group, I've decided to create the themes by myself and hopefully have one or two of you come along with me. I've made up my themes and I'll share these on the blog each week- anyone who wants to take part with me can.
Here's how it works......
- Each week I'll post two themes for us to choose from. These will usually just be one or two words that you can interpret how you wish, such as "Play", or it may be something more specific like "Bokeh" The idea is to take a photo that represents one of those two themes - it can be as literal or as abstract as you like. I suspect a lot of us will be taking pictures of our children, so I've tried to make sure the themes encourage you to document a different aspect of them, or of family life, rather than just pictures of them smiling at the camera. (Please bear in mind the photos don't need to be of your children though - it can be anything you like) I've also tried to include themes that will challenge you to learn something different too and I'll post tutorials and tips for these on the blog as we go along.
- The first theme will be posted on the 31st of December and will follow weekly every Monday after that.
-You can do either of the themes, or both, or you can go off and do something different - it's entirely up to you. It's your project.
- I would love, love, love if you could share the photos you take - it's so interesting to see how other people interpret the same word! I've set up a Flickr group one where we can share our Project 52 photos with one another (if you are not familiar with Flickr, it's an online photo sharing site) If you don't already have a Flickr account you'll need to create one, just register with Flickr on http://www.flickr.com (it's free and easy to join, and you can sign in with Facebook if you like) and then once you have an account, join the group at http://www.flickr.com/groups/livesnaplove52/.
- Each week, upload the photos you have taken to the Flickr Group Pool. Sharing our photos will encourage us to stick to the Project 52, and perhaps push yourself just that little bit harder. However, if you don't don't want to share your photos at all, or just want to share one or two, then that's OK too.
- You can start at any time. It's not a contest, or anything you need to sign up to, the only commitment you make is to yourself. However, I would suggest trying to do them all - if you only do one or two, you won't find it as challenging. Plus, it will be great to have a entire years worth of photos - you'll be upset if you miss one!
- You don't need a DSLR to take part - this is about stretching your creativity as much as it is about the technical side of photography, so a point and shoot is fine. Nor do you need to post-process your photos unless you want to.
- Live Snap Love is a very small blog, so there definitely won't be many members in the Flickr group. If, like me, you can get intimidated by large groups with lots of professional photographers, don't worry, this won't be like that! (I think you are likely to find just me there on my own!) Feel free to spread the word though, it's so much more fun to do a Project 52 with a few people and it helps keep you motivated.
So, that's it. Pretty simple eh? Just one little photo a week - I'm sure you all can do that! Basically, it's a fun project designed to help you document your life, and move further along in your photography journey while you do so. Hopefully you'll find Live Snap Love a nice, non-threatening place to do it in.
If you are interested in doing this with me, please come back on the 31st for the themes for the first week (or make sure you sign up for updates to be alerted when new blog posts go up so you don't need to keep checking back) Meanwhile, if you want to share your photos (and I hope you do) get yourself sorted with a Flickr account and join the group so you are ready to start for Week One!
I'm so excited about this - I can't wait to get started!! Is anyone with me??
Labels: PROJECT 52